From British Arachnological Society
In 1958 the Flatford Mill Spider Group was formed by a small band of enthusiasts lead by D.W. Mackie. This blossomed to a membership of 42 by 1963 and had a regular news bulletin produced by David Mackie. At this time it was decided to give it national status by renaming it the British Spider Study Group - by 1965 the membership had risen to 52 and included its first non-British members. At its tenth annual meeting in 1968 it was resolved the Group would change its status and become the British Arachnological Society.
In May 1999 the BAS celebrated its 40th Anniversary by holding the Annual General Meeting at Flatford Mill. The gathering included two of the original members of the Flatford Mill Spider Group!
The modern BAS now has over 250 U.K. members and almost as many overseas members, together with a number of subscribing institutions throughout the world.
|↑ Goto top||© British Arachnological Society, 2013||Website created by Salticus Webhosting|
|The British Arachnological Society is a Registered Charity in England & Wales No. 260346, and in Scotland No. SC044090|