From British Arachnological Society
Membership of the British Arachnological Society (BAS) is open to everyone interested in arachnids, from beginners to professional academic arachnologists, in the UK and overseas, and therefore we provide a wide range of content in our publications, website and activities.
(Membership is not available to institutions (libraries, universities, etc) - they must take out a subscription to the Society's publications.)
The BAS is the only UK society devoted to the study of all spiders, harvestmen, pseudoscorpions, as well as 'Tarantulas', scorpions, and other groups. We continue to grow our public profile, with increased media coverage and events attendance, promoting the study and understanding of spiders and other arachnids. We can only do this with the direct help of our enthusiastic members. We manage the Spider and Harvestman Recording Schemes, which map the distribution of British species, as well as recording their habitats and life cycles. Additionally, our expert knowledge and advice to other bodies, including governmental, is fundamental to help the conservation of the UK’s rare arachnid species.
We have two membership categories - UK Membership and Overseas Membership.
All memberships are fixed from January to December, so renewal is always due at the start of the calendar year.
New membership is effective January of the current year, and so the new member will receive any Newsletter and Arachnology issues that they may have missed in the current year as a 'catch-up'.
Membership benefits include:
- The Newsletter - subscription to our popular members' publication, issued three times per year.
- Arachnology, The journal of the British Arachnological Society - subscription to our international academic journal, issued three times per year.
- Online access to Arachnology and the Newsletter - as well as the print issues above, your member online password gives you access to all current papers (pdf) in Arachnology, in advance of the print copy, and also all previous papers in the Bulletin (since issue 1 in 1969). Additionally, all Newsletter issues from 1971 to 2004 (issue #100) are online - we are working on also providing recent Newsletter issues as soon as possble.
- Regional Coordinators and local Mentors provide direct local help to members with the development of their spider identification skills, and organise field trips, training workshops and public events. Our Events pages include details of these activities around the country and throughout the year. (England, Scotland, Wales only)
- Members Handbook - this comprehensive introduction and reference source for studying spiders is sent to new members (UK Members only). It is also available to all members online, as a pdf in our members' area.
- Members' Forum - Google email discussion group allows BAS members, including academics around the world, to exchange comments, Q&A, photos for ID, advice, notices, in fact anything of arachnological interest. Access is now convenient and direct from the members area of the BAS website.
- BAS website - provides a wealth of information, members facilities, and access to the Spider and Harvestman Recording Schemes. It is regularly updated with links to the latest world-wide arachnological news, sites and scientific papers. So as well as being the central BAS reference source, the website can now be used as the hub of your online arachnology surfing. Members can have their own websites linked directly from our website.
- Members' area - access to various members-only online facilities, including our extensive and searchable online library of pdf publications and scientific papers. New facilities are added regularly to this members area.
- Reprint library and slide library - access to the large BAS library, housed at Liverpool Museum, and the loan service.
2013 Membership Rates
|UK Membership||£20.00 GBP (£21.20 GBP online, incl PayPal fee)|
|Overseas Membership||£23.00 GBP (£24.20 GBP online, incl PayPal fee)|
- Join Online - join quickly and conveniently online with your debit card, credit card, or PayPal account (and please also send to us separately your Gift Aid Declaration, if applicable)
- Join by Cheque or Bank Transfer or Standing Order - just print off this Membership form, fill it in and send to us with your cheque, or advice of bank transfer, or your completed 2013 Standing Order form (below) (and Gift Aid Declaration, if applicable)
- Gift Aid Declaration - UK Members Only - make your membership worth an extra £5 to us, at no extra cost to you! Just print off the form, fill it in and send to us
- Standing Order Form - 2013 - for current year payment and future renewals - Just print off this standing order form, fill it in and send to us. We will set it up with your bank, first payment effective 2013, as soon as the form is accepted by your bank. Second payment Jan 2014. (UK bank accounts only.)
- Standing Order Form - 2014 - for future renewals - Just print off this standing order form, fill it in and send to us. We will set it up with your bank, first payment effective Jan 2014. (UK bank accounts only.)
(A standing order ensures that future renewals are paid automatically by your bank, when due at the start of every January. So you do not need to remember to write and send a cheque, and we save on administration costs by not chasing renewals.)
The Mail-back form for further information has been removed because of abuse of the system by 'spammers'. If you require further details please e-mail the Membership Development Officer NOTE you will need to change the 'AT' in the address to '@' for the e-mail to work. BAS apologises for the inconvenience.
|↑ Goto top||© British Arachnological Society, 2013||Website created by Salticus Webhosting|
|The British Arachnological Society is a Registered Charity in England & Wales No. 260346, and in Scotland No. SC044090|